Buying Refurbished Medical Equipment Online
If you’ve been diagnosed with asthma or are undergoing respiratory therapy for chronic bronchitis or emphysema, or any other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Top Five Considerations for Purchasing Used Medical Equipment Online
- Consider your budget. As stated above, you can save around 50% buying used or refurbished respiratory equipment versus new, but you need to balance out the benefits of buying the used equipment. For starters, you must consider if the life of the equipment you are purchasing is worth the savings. Remember: you want to purchase a product that will last as long as your treatment requires so that you do not have to repurchase the equipment. Furthermore, you don’t want to purchase medical equipment that does not function properly. This may sound obvious, but this is something that is often overlooked when shopping for used medical equipment online. For example, if you purchase a used CPAP machine from Craigslist or eBay, you need to know that it operates at 100% of its capabilities. Finally, you may not know until you receive the item if it needs expensive repairs.
- Consider the reputation of the seller. There is certainly no shortage of listings for used medical online at eBay or Craigslist. The truth of the matter is this: if you purchase used medical equipment online from an individual that does not specialize in selling this type of medical equipment, you really have no idea whether the item works properly or not. Thus, you should purchase used medical equipment from companies that test and refurbish used medical equipment. Sure, you may save a few dollars by purchasing the item from someone on the Facebook Marketplace, but you may end up getting something that is broken. You need to know that the product is safe and reliable (i.e. that the product has not been recalled). Remember: your health is at risk here. So, buyer beware.
- Consider the cleanliness of the product. This may sound like another obvious scenario, but you really need to know whether the used or refurbished medical equipment you are purchasing has been properly cleaned. Furthermore, you need to know how it has been cleaned and disinfected. There are certain procedures that must be followed to properly decontaminate respiratory equipment so that it is free from disease causing micro-organisms. Thus, you need to know that those procedures have been followed. Finally, you need to know that the seller has used proper chemical germicides to disinfect the equipment. This is important since most respiratory equipment makes contact with the skin.
- Consider the return policy. If you purchase your used medical equipment from an individual on Craigslist or eBay, you may not have the option of returning the item for a refund even if the equipment does not work properly. Thus, only do business with companies that offer a full refund or some sort of product guarantee.
- Consider the resale value of the product. The technology for therapeutic respiratory and medical equipment is constantly changing and evolving. Thus, you may decide that you want to upgrade your equipment. As a result, you should consider the resale value of the medical equipment you are purchasing. Also, some medical suppliers will allow you to trade the refurbished equipment in on new equipment. Check with our Customer Support team about these options by calling 800-653-6888. The rule of thumb for purchasing quality refurbished medical supplies is this: ask lots of questions! We have clinical support specialists and respiratory therapists on staff and are eager to help you on your journey to purchase refurbished medical supplies online.